Sunday, February 9, 2014

2-3-2014 Update

 
I am sorry to say this won´t be a very great weekly update. We have a few progressing investigators but it is especially hard to get people to keep their commitments. Some people can´t read either so it requires extra effort to help them and set aside time to go read with them. It is a great learning experience.
I am really learning patience and the importance of staying positive. I am one of those people who want to change and will set goals but never follow through! I don´t want to be like that anymore! I am ready to change for good and that is something that I am determined to do!
Our area is a lot bigger that I thought... Actually, we didn´t even see the end because it seemed like there was no end! it takes 30 minutes to get there by bus and then you have to walk about another 30-40 minutes to get to the point we were at. the road doesn´t end and we are looking at setting aside a whole day to go up there and meet people. It is so beautiful though! We got encircled by a group of dogs while we were up there.. luckily we  had our umbrellas, we went down swinging. We stayed dog bite free. Also, we ran from a cow that came running at us, that was cool too!
 Anyway, there really isn´t much more to say! I hope everyone is doing well! again, thank you for the emails! I really appreciate it!
Elder Bailey
 
 
 
     *[Here is a section of a letter Nigil wrote home. I wanted to share because it's a great visual of where he is both psychically and emotionally. Missionary life is not always easy...who would have thought ;) Also, when he mentions us reading about the "English story", he is referring to a story in a sister missionaries blog(asisterservinginbolivia). I read her blog every week because she is hilarious and they are in the same ward. I love having the extra insight into his world.]
 
 
 
It is really hot here at times but it rains a lot too. When it rains it floods the whole city and it is pretty miserable! The terrible thing is that I am in the area, in our mission, that has the best whether.. That means when I leave I will be in for a hot surprise. I am hoping that I don't have my transfer until the whether gets a little bit better! :)
 
Haha I think it is so funny that you got to read about the English story. The guy that we teach English phrases to is probably one of the funniest guys I´ve ever met! It is really cool to form these close relationships with members even when you cant communicate as well as you would like. I have already promised a lot of people that I am going to return in a few years so you guys should plan on that too! I think you would love it here! It is absolutely beautiful!
To be completely honest, I am still trying to figure out how to love it! I am really struggling! haha The language thing is a real downer and I have to do everything I can just to try and stay positive! It is such a good thing for me to be learning! Prayers are always appreciated though, maybe you can pray for a miracle and I will wake up tomorrow speaking a lot better ;)
 
 
 
 






1-27-2014 Update


We had our first baptism!!  It was a 15 year old boy that we have been working with since I got here. He is such a good kid. I really look up to him. I have learned more from him than I could ever teach him. It was such a great experience. I couldn´t be more happy with how things went. His family is so nice too! Thanks to his example and desire to be baptized the whole family is a lot more receptive and told us that we are welcome in their house at anytime and they love the peace that we bring.  I feel really good about this family and I pray that I am here long enough to see them continue to progress! What a blessing this gospel can be.
I realized during the baptism that if that was the only baptism I get to be a part of I would still be a successful missionary. I can´t control anyone's agency but I can lead with my example and hope that they feel the love I have for them. This boy said he looks forward to serving a mission in a few years and I realized that the success that he has is also my success. I may only have one baptism and that would be okay because I have helped someone who is going to do some great things and have great success!
We only have two more weeks of this transfer and I don´t know where the time has gone. I will almost have 4 months the next time I get to email. That is unreal to me.
That's about all that I've got for now. Thank you all that write me and show your support. I appreciate it more than you could know.
With love,
Elder Bailey

 

No comments:

Post a Comment